13 March 2013

Scrappy iPad Cover

I got out my sewing machine for the first time ever this weekend, inspired by the Scrappy iPad cover over on My Poppet, my pile of woolly scraps and my new mini iPad.

My mum gave me the sewing machine as a house warming present and it's sad to say that this was the first time it has seen use.


Here's the pile of squares before I started - some upcycled jumpers, some knit to felt lopi squares and some handmade felt. Next time I will not use the lopi or the handmade felt, they don't hold together so well.


The pieces laid out ready to be stitched together, using the zig-zag stitch. With the edges straightened the rows of squares were stitched together to create one piece which was folded in half and stitched together.


The finished cover with the button and closing flap attached.


The finished cover and lining. It did take me a while to work out how to insert the lining so I read a few tutorials online and finally worked out how to turn it all inside out and the right way round. 

http://mypoppet.com.au/2011/05/how-to-scrappy-felt-ipad-cover.html

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

How fun! The lopi and the handmade felt look like they're playing well together from here! I love the fun scrappy look!

Bethany said...

That looks a lot more difficult than you made it out to be! All those little pieces have to fit together to make a perfect rectangle! It probably is very nice to feel when you carry it. Great job Di! I see sewing projects in your future!! ;)

Anne Marie said...

I second Bethany, you made it look easy. Looks like that ipad will be kept both safe and warm!

It's a good thing you got the dust of the sewing machine :-)

Miss Cinti - my poppet said...

I'd love to include you in my reader project gallery if I have permission to use your photo :)