26 April 2014

The Netherlands

Another little trip late last year took me to the Netherlands to visit with my friends, the Fernandez-Olivera clan, recently transplanted from Paris to The Hague. It was lovely to see them all again and to meet their youngest, Lucas, for the first time. I had fun trying to speak French with Nicolas (3) and Beatriz (7) who I think wondered why I was crap at speaking French!

I spent time with them, taking the kids to school, taking the kids to the park,  washing the dishes, making packed lunches, visiting Delft and Leiden (well driving there and eating lunch - you know how it is with 3 small kids in tow) and Amsterdam. In Amsterdam I met with a girl I had been at secondary school with, who I hadn't seen for over 20 years - it was a lovely catch up!

Some of my favourite images from this trip (Amsterdam to follow)!

I took a cycle in the rain to the Gemeentemuseum, about 2kms from my friend's house and spent a lovely afternoon wandering through rooms of Delftware, art and architecture. 

Delft in the museum in The Hague.


Even a Delftware Miffy! There will be more of Miffy in a later post!



And giant sized on a window blind.


Serious Delftware!


Not exactly beach weather, but about 1km from my friend's new house is the fabulous beach of Scheveningen, where my friends spent many a happy post-school afternoon in the summer.


Leiden - close to The Hague is the city of Leiden, home of the oldest university in the Netherlands, founded in 1575. 



That most Dutch of sights - windmills! Sorry the photos are not the best, most were taken from a moving car....to scared to stop less the 3 small children got grumpy!



Delft - this is a quaint little town, almost joined to The Hague, with beautiful canals and old townhouses. My friends think that Delft will be to The Hague, what St Andrews is to Dundee - the place to take visitors, outside the city, full of history.



Some more things that make you think of the Netherlands!








2 comments:

Bethany said...

Wow,wow,wow... I'm sitting here reading this post to Craig and just wishing I could visit too. Of course it would be so much fun WITH you! I look forward to a post about Miffy-- love her!!

Thimbleanna said...

Ah yes -- all classic pictures of The Netherlands! I'd love to see the Delft pottery again -- I love the blue and white so much. Thank you for sharing all of your beautiful pictures -- they made me remember when we were there years ago. I was going to ask where are your tulip pictures (this being spring and all) and then I remembered this is a catch up post. What lovely memories!