22 April 2014

The Great Outdoors

Since my little blog hiatus (partially caused by computer death and partially caused by laziness) I have been getting on with my conservation volunteering with the National Trust for Scotland. Late last year this included a little trip south of the border, into Englandshire. We spent the weekend in the beautiful Lake District working with a team from another volunteer project called Fix the Fells. We cleared drains on footpaths and worked on some dry stand dyking (in the rain), all the while surrounded by beautiful scenery.


Clearing the paths - military formation style! Fix the Fells repair and maintain many miles of paths throughout the Lakes - they are a great bunch of volunteers and make the Lake District National Park a great place for walkers. 


The view!


The following day we participated in the not so dry, dry-stand dyking. Repairing a fallen down wall - round stones don't make the easiest of tools for dry stand dyking, but you've got to work with what you've got.


The view from the worksite - Watendlath Tarn - a mountain pool formed by glaciation, high above Derwant Water. The village and surrounding countryside are owned by the National Trust


The base of our wall redeveloped....



2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oh, you lucky girl -- what wonderful volunteer opportunities you have! I will admit I had a good laugh though -- the perspective on your second picture is pretty funny and then it is followed by the comment "The view!". I know that comment is for the following picture which has a gorgeous view, but it was just funny to me LOL!

Bethany said...

You live in such a gorgeous country! I am so impressed with everyone's willingness to work for the National Trust-- it's such a wonderful organization. I hope I can come to see the area someday!