13 October 2012

Lausanne's Farm

One good thing about going to visit friends in far flung places is that they frequently know the best places to go, the places you wouldn't normally find or think to go to as a regular tourist. Much was the case in Lausanne last month when I went to visit my friends.  

They took me to Lausanne's farm, the last farm in the city......they grow vegetables and they bring them in from around the canton so that there is an amazing farm shop open every day during the growing months. Wednesday and Saturday are the best as those are the days when the fresh produce arrives and the choice is greatest.

Many of my friends know that I love to take photos of food, particularly markets....so much so that when I went to Rome many years ago (pre-digital) I took one picture of the Colosseum and 15 pictures of the Campo di Fiori market. Things haven't changed much and I was in my element here. Oh and the vegetables we bought were seasonal and tasted amazing too!


In the UK supermarkets we generally get 2 or 3 kinds of tomatoes and they are generally regular in shape and red......



The tiny courgettes and the flowers were made into a lovely pasta sauce the day after.


I've never seen cauliflowers that aren't white before.

It's here that my friends do their vegetable shopping on a weekly basis - I would love to have access to a market like this.


I grew these zebra tomatoes last summer in my living room window.

I tried to find out something about the market on the internet but no luck - will have to ask my friends for the details.


5 comments:

Theresa said...

Incredible! Gorgeous, really.

likeschocolate said...

How lovely! What a great farm!

Francesca said...

It would be nice to live in a climate where all that produce and variety were available all year round - who needs winters?! :)
btw, we have white a green cauliflowers, but I've never seen red ones before!

Unknown said...

Coloured cauliflowers! Never seen something similar....

Bethany said...

I don't even think our markets here have that gorgeous of produce. Your photography is fantastic! Now I'm hungry...