16 August 2010

Brrrr....

For some slightly insane reason, whilst the sun was shining this weekend, I decided that it would be a good idea for some friends and I to have a picnic....somewhere we could dangle our toes in the water, feeling a bubbling stream running over bare feet....however time was pressing and the closest water is the sea and so we ended up at Broughty Ferry beach which is only about a 10 minute drive from home.....and after the 10 minute walk from the sand dunes to the water's edge (the tide was way out) I didn't just paddle - I took a swim.


19 degrees (66) outside and I decide to take a swim. It's the first time in about 15 years that I've swum in the sea in Scotland and surprisingly it didn't take me ages to submerge - and we swam for about 15 minutes in the cold cold water..... I think once I'd gone numb it didn't feel nearly so bad ;o)

The picnic afterwards was great - it wasn't just any picnic, it was a Marks & Spencer's picnic (probably only raising a smile from the Brits amongst us).


We didn't stay too long as the pesky sea haar rolled in off the sea and engulfed us.....time to retreat to a garden 50m inland where the haar didn't reach!


My latest blankie arrived with it's new owner a few weeks back and her mum posted about it....I am so glad it arrived safely and that they liked it!

12 comments:

Arctic Mum: said...

Wow, am impressed over that swimming. You should come an try it here, however...(or maybe not, the you will get numb.)

la ninja said...

you're a brave woman, you. Well impressed (she writes as she checks the grey grey skies over a'dam.)

I was not aware you lot had a particular sort of sea fog. "haar" sounds like a bit of an inconvenient little **** (even though I actually find all sea-related meterelogical lark fascinating. and scotland scores pretty well in that department :)

lykkefanten said...

Brrr indeed!!! Am impressed by you ability to stay in cold water for that long ;)
Love the name of the fog! It's called "havgus" in Danish.

Tangara said...

Funny how the girls are covered up and the boys are pretending it´s warm. Miss you all.

ibb said...

When I visited Scotland some years ago...a friend of mine was sure to swimm...more or less like you..hahaha. It was quite a brave experience...I don´t know you, but he changed a bit into blue...I think it was near Skie
We had the laught of the trip.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Brrrr! Well, it looks like you had a wonderful day -- in spite of the chill and the Haar (is that how you say it?) I'd take freezing cold on the beach any day!!!

wide-eyed said...

The blankie you made its very lovely! The child who has it now must be very happy :)

Bethany Hissong said...

I don't even get in the ocean here... you are very brave!!! Looks like a lot of fun though! I'm sure your blankie will be much loved and then treasured forever!

jane said...

wow! i´m very impressed. you girls know how to have fun:)
xxx

jojo-caramel said...

Oh J'adore ton Petit Chaperon Rouge !!! Beautiful!!!
I love picnic on the beach, but i don't know if i would have swim :-D

life in yonder said...

How could they not like your beautiful blanket! :-)

Theresa said...

Adorable

Hey girl, You still want to do corner view? Either way is fine, no worries. Jane and I are updating the list, it has gotten long. Please let me know. Thanks Theresa