17 January 2008

Woollie Creations - Cardinals

I was busy making something felted for my aunt for Christmas when I got distracted by other things. Luckily she came to visit from the US for a week which spurred me into action and I finally managed to finish the door hanging and give it to her when I saw her last week.

Once again I used Lopi roving that I got at Twist Fibre Craft - this time in dark red and yellow - it really is one of my favourite materials to work with - easy to knit and felts beautifully. The dark red was what inspired me - the colour of cardinals - the Christmas birds of the US, as robins are in the UK. I knitted squares of lopi and an idiot cord before felting them in the washing machine and then cut cardinal shapes and beaks and sewed two sides together across the cord - 3 different sized birds and a fabulous jingle bell!!


13 comments:

Jade said...

I never knew that Cardinals were the Christmas bird in the U.S. Hmm... Interesting that I had to visit a British blog to figure that one out! ;)

Lovely little birdies!

Anne said...

I love these cardinals - the bird has a special meaning in our family. When one of my Aunt's passed away she told her childen when they saw a Cardinal that it was her, so every time I see one it reminds me of her.

Charlie P said...

I love how much thought goes into your presents for people- very impressive. It's a fab door hanging. I especially like the GIANT bell :D

amy said...

that's so cute!!!

Felicia said...

They're adorable :)

Ravenhill said...

I love the originality of this gift. It is so pretty and well done. I am sure she must have adored it! What thoughtfulness!

Feltbug said...

Hello Di - Happy New Year to you - you have been busy over the last few months - it was lovely catching up with your adventures!
Love from Mandy xx

dizzyjadey said...

Oh, I love this project, Di! The tinkle bell is a fab touch, too.

Bethany Hissong said...

Brilliant! We are cardinal lovers here and you are simply brilliant!

Karen S said...

Love those little felted things! Oh, and thanks for the update! Will start work on my part of the swap today!!!

I have given you a little award because you make me smile and generally make my day, whenever I read your blog! See more on my blog

Karen

Friederike! said...

Hi Di, thank your for commenting on my blog. I will try your wool stuffing method. Thanks for sharing! Your bird door hanging is very lovely. I like the simple shape of the birds!

j said...

you're a talented knitter/felter, and prolific, too.

I left you a tag, on my blog. it's one question.

Lina said...

Oh this is gorgeous - I love these!